The X-Factor / SYCO
To create a special Omni-Channel experience for fans of launch of The X Factor in the US and to find unique ways for the sponsors to be seamlessly integrated into the those experiences.
Process & Methods
We gathered all available analytics from viewership to site traffic. There were interviews with Simon Cowell and executives at Fox.
Defining The Components Of The Project:
It was important to Simon that we pushed the envelope. With that in mind, we started with defining content programs about music, style, backstage, bringing music to schools, and overall focusing on a more in depth look into the entire show. Extending it before and after the show. The mobile and tablet app was an important part of the strategy, giving fans insight by creating a second screen experience. We did several “first to” experiences, here are some highlights:
- Users could start online and in the app with the streaming Pepsi-sponsored digital pre-show one hour prior to each live televised broadcast. Users from around the country discussed everything from their favorite performances to contestant’s fashion and song choices.
- Users could tweet questions live to the hosts and their guests and some fans were selected to join the live-stream via Skype.
- They could read contestants’ and judges’ live tweets, tweet back their support and opinions, get access to backstage cameras, read song lyrics during performances, view galleries from past performances, learn about contestants’ hometowns and download contestants song choices as they were being performed.
- We were the first to do SMS voting through an app.
The app was built in stages, testing the experience internally before we opened it up to official user testing.
Focus groups and user testing groups were brought in to go through the app experience and the site experience.
The launch went off without a hitch! We sold an exceptional amount of music each night after the show as well as letting fans participate and connect with their favorite contestants.
We Won Three Awards:
- Cannes Lion Bronze Award for Branded Content and Entertainment
- Webby Award for Branded Content
- Webby Award for Best Mobile App
UX & Design: Todd Ryan of Aardvark Brigade, Myself, Levi Bahn
Development: Sony & Fox combined their tech teams to pull off this elaborate technical feat!